Veterans Certification Process

Veterans Certification Process

Certification Process

The school certifying official (SCO) releases an email to notify VA students that initial enrollment certifications will be submitted 45 days before the start of the academic term. At this time, students may ask any questions or request to not be certified. Submitting the initial enrollment certification 45 days prior to the start of the semester ensures that students' first monthly stipend will be issued on time.

For students under Ch 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill®/Yellow Ribbon, this is the first of two certifications. The first certification reports a student's enrollment for their monthly stipend. The second certification reports tuition and mandatory student fees (and Yellow Ribbon funding if applicable) after Phase II registration ends.

The Bursar's Office places a deferral on each Ch 33 student's account for the amount expected from the VA. This deferral prevents the assessment of late fees or schedule cancellation due to the pending tuition/fee balance. Students should make plans to pay whatever balance is not covered by Ch 33 (housing, parking, meal plan, etc.) by the regular payment deadlines.

Student Responsibilities

Veteran students at Georgia Tech have ongoing responsibilities to the Department of Veterans Affairs. The DVA and the Veterans Services office at Georgia Tech closely monitor each veteran student's enrollment status and academic program. The student's entitlement is based upon the number of credit hours for which a student is enrolled, and any changes in academic program. To ensure that a student's enrollment is certified to the VA accurately, please abide by the following requirements:

  • Check the Georgia Tech veterans web page for current news
  • Read notification emails sent to students from school certifying official (SCO)
  • Email SCO if adjustments are made to class schedule during Phase II registration
  • Email SCO if adjustments need to be made to schedule after Phase II registration ends
  • Email SCO if changing address or academic major