- What is the minimum GPA required to graduate?
- Who is eligible for honors and how are they calculated?
- What are the responsibilities of the Degree Certification Staff in the Registrar's office?
- When is Summer Commencement?
- How do I order a duplicate diploma?
- When will my diploma arrive?
- Which degree candidates will be allowed to participate in the commencement exercise?
- Where do I get information about caps, gowns, invitations, photographs and commencement day activities?
- When and where can I pick-up my honor cord?
- Where can I find the spring commencement participation policy and petition form for Summer Candidates?
- Do I have to have my concentration selected before submitting an OAG?
- How do I select my concentration?
- I'm also pursuing a minor. Do I have to officially declare my minor?
- How will my minor be evaluated?
- I have more than one program I'm applying for. Do I have to submit more than one OAG?
- My curriculum is incorrect on the OAG screen. What do I do?
- I applied for my degree in a previous term and it was not awarded. When and how can I apply again for this degree?
- Where can I find more information about the Online Application for Graduation (OAG) including my current status?
- The minimum GPA required for graduating with an undergraduate degree is 2.0
- The minimum GPA required for graduating with a Master or Master of Science degree is 2.7
- The minimum GPA required for graduating with a PhD degree is 3.0.
**Please note, your academic department may require a higher GPA for graduate degrees.
Tentative and Final Honors at Graduation
- For graduation with highest honor, the minimum grade-point average (GPA) shall be 3.55.
- For graduation with high honor, the minimum grade-point average (GPA) shall be 3.35.
- For graduation with honor, the minimum grade-point average (GPA) shall be 3.15.
A student must have earned at least 60 semester credit hours (excluding remedial coursework) at Georgia Tech to graduate with highest honor, with high honor, or with honor.
In order to qualify for graduation with honors, all grades or grade corrections affecting the honors designation must be received and certified by the Office of the Registrar no later than noon on Wednesday following Commencement.
Tentative honors at graduation (recognized at Commencement) are determined by the grade-point average (GPA) entering the graduating term and the sum total of graded hours accumulated prior to the graduation term plus graded hours registered for and pending during the graduation term.
The Degree Certification Staff in the Office of the Registrar is responsible for evaluating degree candidates and certifying that all graduation requirements have been met prior to the awarding of degrees.
Commencement and Diploma
The Commencement Office has updated its Summer Commencement policy.
Should you ever need a replacement copy of your diploma complete the following request form. There is a $100 replacement fee, plus mailing.Replacement Diplomas
Diplomas are printed by an outside company and it normally takes 6-8 weeks after Commencement to be printed and mailed.
Students who are active degree candidates at the time of commencement are eligible to participate in the ceremony.
Toward the middle of your graduating term, you will receive a packet from the Special Events Office located in the Wardlaw Building. This packet will provide detailed information about the commencement ceremony. Visit the Special Events - GT Commencement website for more information.Commencement
We highly encourage you to visit the bookstore to purchase graduation regalia approximately the fourth week of the term that you are graduating. Cap & gown information is also available at the GT Commencement website. Please be sure to check your graduation regalia before you leave the bookstore to make sure you have the correct regalia and that you have all pieces, including tassel.
To purchase graduation announcements visit the Balfour website.
Georgia Tech will provide honor cords for undergraduate students based on their previous semester's cumulative GPA. Students are expected to pick up their honor cords at one of the following locations:
- Monday, April 30, 2018 - Thursday, May 3, 2018 - Office of the Registrar, Tech Tower, 1st Floor
- Friday, May 4, 2018 - President's Graduation Reception, Tech Tower Lawn
Graduates are permitted to wear additional items if given by officially sanctioned Georgia Tech honor societies or student organizations. You are responsible for obtaining from the student organization any honors accessories to which you are entitled.
Please note that the distribution of honor cords for commencement and the notation of tentative honors in the commencement program are based on whether the student meets the minimum number of hours (60) and the required minimum GPA for the three levels of honor at the time they enter their graduating term. In other words, honors at commencement are based on the hours accumulated and the GPA that exists at the beginning of the graduating term.
GPA Requirement with a minimum of 60 institutional credits earned:
- 3.15 for HONOR (double white cords)
- 3.35 for HIGH HONOR (double gold cords)
- 3.55 for HIGHEST HONOR (double white and gold braided cords)
If you have any questions, please contact the Registrar's Office at email@example.com.
Spring Commencement Participation Policy for Summer Candidates
Yes, you should submit your concentration as soon as you know which concentration you are pursuing, and definitely prior to applying for graduation. Always speak with your advisor prior to selection.
Students must select their concentration within OSCAR. More information can be found on the DegreeWorks main website
Minors and Degree Designators
Yes, in order to submit your OAG including your minor, you will need to officially declare your minor. Forms can be found here.
All undergraduate students pursuing a minor will need to submit a minor program of study form to the Office of the Registrar. Forms can be located here.
Online Application for Graduation (OAG)
Yes, a separate OAG is needed for each program you are applying to graduate in.
Do not proceed if your curriculum is incorrect. Instead, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
More information about the OAG, including details prior to and after applying to graduate can be found here.