In order to graduate from Georgia Tech, students must first submit an Online Application for Graduation (OAG). The graduation application windows for Summer, Fall and Spring are listed on the Academic Calendar.
In the graduation application, students will be asked to confirm how they would like their name printed on the diploma and to which address the diploma(s) should be mailed. If a student needs to officially change his or her legal name with Georgia Tech, a Name Change Form needs to be submitted (prior to graduation) to the Office of the Registrar along with required documentation.
It is the student’s responsibility to apply for graduation and to ensure that the correct address is on file with the Office of the Registrar. Diplomas are typically mailed within 8 weeks after the official graduation date. Students will receive email conformation with tracking when the diploma is mailed.
Georgia Tech only issues one size diploma for all majors and levels. The size is 17 inches by 14 inches, and the information printed on the diploma is summarized below:
- Undergraduates with one major.
- Your degree, major, institute honors, Co-op (if applicable), International Plan (if applicable) and graduation date will be reflected on the diploma.
- Undergraduates with multiple majors.
- If you complete the requirements for multiple majors you will receive a diploma for each. The individual diplomas will reflect the degree, major, institute honors, Co-op (if applicable), International Plan (if applicable) and graduation date will be reflected on the diploma.
- Master's degree students.
- Your degree, major, and graduation date will be reflected on the diploma.
- If you complete the requirements for multiple degrees within the same term, you will receive a diploma for each.
- Doctoral degree students.
- The degree of “Doctor of Philosophy” and graduation date will be reflected on the diploma.
- Due to Covid-19 Doctoral degree candidates attending a Commencement ceremony will not receive their diplomas at the ceremony. Diplomas will be mailed 6 to 8 weeks after the ceremony.
If you have an outstanding debt with Georgia Tech, the Registrar’s Office will not mail your diploma until that debt has been satisfied.
There is no-charge for the original diploma. Original diplomas Alumni may request replacement diplomas for $100.00 each. Duplicate diplomas shall carry all information contained on the original. The signatories will be the current President, Registrar and Chancellor of the University System of Georgia. Alumni requesting a duplicate diploma will be subject to the current fee for such diplomas.
Unclaimed, undeliverable or withheld diplomas are retained in the Registrar's Office for a period of 30 days after which time they are destroyed. Alumni wishing to replace an unclaimed, undeliverable or destroyed diploma must purchase a duplicate diploma.