Authoritative information regarding withdrawal and readmission is published under Rules & Regulations VIII in the Catalog.
Georgia Tech has one deadline for individual course drops and for complete withdrawals from the Institute. See the Academic Calendar for deadlines by term.
Students considering dropping a course are encouraged to read our blog regarding the pros and cons of that decision.
- All holds must be removed before a student can drop a course or withdraw from the Institute.
- There is no refund for dropped courses. In order to qualify for a refund, a student must completely withdraw from the Institute before the deadline.
- Students who are full-time (enrolled in 12 hours, at least) and withdraw from a number of courses that lowers the semester total below 12 will no longer be considered. For example, if a student is registered for 12 credit hours and then withdraws from one 3-credit-hour course, she/he will no longer be designated as full-time.
- If there is an alleged academic integrity violation pending, the student may not drop the course. The status of the alleged violation is defined as "pending" when an incident has been submitted to the Office of Student Integrity and has generated an electronic "suspected academic misconduct" notice that has been sent to the student. If the student is found responsible for any prohibited academic conduct, she/he will not be allow to drop the course.
- If the student is found responsible for any prohibited academic conduct in a class, she/he will also not be allow to withdraw from the term.
- After any transaction in the registration system, students must hit "submit" to ensure that the change is made in the database. Students should the review their schedules again, as indicated below, to make sure they are correct.
- After withdrawing from a class or from all classes, students are expected to print out their schedules, as described below, and keep a copy as a receipt verifying the action that was taken on that date. In the event of a system glitch, this will serve as proof of the intent to withdrawal or proof that the action was taken but not processed properly.
How to Drop a Course
Any student who wishes to drop a course must do so using the instructions below. The course will remain on the student's schedule with a status of "course dropped by student." A grade of "W" will be assigned for the dropped course(s) at the end of the term.
- Log into Buzzport
- On the Home tab locate the "registration and student services" channel
- Select the "Registration - OSCAR" link
- Select "Student Services & Financial Aid"
- Select "Registration"
- Select "Add/Drop Classes"
- Select "Term"
- Select "Course Drop by Student" from the pull down menu
- Select "Submit Changes" button
- Note that the course "Status" field will then change from "Registered" to "Course Drop by Student"