Our office is happy to serve our most distinguished students as they prepare to celebrate Commencement.
Honor Cord Distribution
To collect your honor cord prior to the Commencement ceremony, come to the Tech Tower Lobby (first floor) between 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. from April 26th – May 5th (Mondays through Fridays only). Please adhere to social distancing guidelines and wear masks when picking up your cords.
If you need to pick up your honor cord after May 5th, you may do so at the following locations:
- May 6th during the President’s Graduation Celebration from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Tech Green.
- May 7th at Tech Tower Lobby from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- May 8th at Bobby Dodd Stadium prior to Commencement.
**If you were a 2020 graduate and did not pick up your honor cord, you may pick up prior to your ceremony on May 8th.
Types of Honors
The type of honor cord you receive is determined by your final grade-point average (GPA).
- For graduation with highest honors, students are required to have a minimum GPA of 3.55. Highest honor cords are signified with white and gold braided cords.
- For graduation with high honors, students are required to have a minimum GPA of 3.35. High honor cords are signified with gold cords.
- For graduation with honors, students are required to have a minimum GPA of 3.15. Honor cords are signified with white cords.
In order to qualify for graduation with honors, all grades or grade corrections affecting the honors designation must be received and certified by the Office of the Registrar no later than noon on Wednesday following Commencement.
Tentative honors at graduation (recognized at Commencement) are determined by the grade-point average (GPA) entering the graduating term and the sum total of graded hours accumulated prior to the graduation term plus graded hours registered for and pending during the graduation term.
Double majors will only receive one cord based on overall GPA.
Cords may not be used for any other designation unless by specific permission of the Office of the Provost through the Registrar. Exceptions may be granted for academic (GPA-based), distinguished national honor societies that may issue cords to their graduates.
For more information regarding Commencement: https://commencement.gatech.edu/